Given its popularity, you’d think that the Rabbit had been around forever. The cute-but-kinda-creepy sex toy has become a staple in modern pop culture, and for a good reason: by stimulating you inside and out, it provides the type of stimulation that most women need to have an orgasm.
The Rabbit is a relatively new sex toy.
Though sex toys have been around for at least 30,000 years, animal-themed, dual-stimulation vibes like the Rabbit have only been around for 30 years. Consider this training for your next trivia night.
1983. The company-that-must-not-be-named (more on that in a mo’) debuts the first animal-themed, dual-stimulating vibrator. Why animals? At the time, it was illegal in Japan to make toys that looked like penises. They also wanted to offer an alternative to the super phallic toys (being made in China where it was legal) that were the only option at the time.
1993. The company-that-must-not-be-named adds a rabbit to their line. Not only did they want to honor their founder, born in the year of the rabbit, but these little animals are also good luck in Japanese culture. [insert way overdone joke about getting lucky with your Rabbit here]
1998. That episode of Sex and the City debuts. Suddenly, everyone wanted their own, celebrities and Oprah were endorsing it, and the Rabbit became mainstream.
The original Rabbit still exists but I don’t recommend it. Hence calling its manufacturer “the company-that-shall-not-be-named.” Well…that and an excuse to make a Harry Potter reference! Anyway…
- It’s made of a porous material. Like your skin, porous toys collect bacteria and other gunk and so are never totally clean. This means, anytime you use the toy, you risk introducing bacteria into your body and increasing your risk of annoying stuff like yeast infections and irritation.
- It requires batteries. These are a) annoying and b) not so eco-friendly.
- Its still pretty phallic. So it’s not a big ol’ cock BUT if you didn’t know it was the Rabbit, you could figure out that its a sex toy. Some people love this but many, in my experience, prefer something a little more discreet.
The popularity of the Rabbit, despite these negatives, can be attributed to a whole bunch of things. Most importantly: it worked.
The Rabbit was the first vibrator to cover all your bases.
Why did the Rabbit work so well? Quite simply, it hits all your pleasure spots. With about 4000 nerve endings, the clit is the vulva’s pleasure center. And most (about 70%) women need some sort of clitoral stimulation to achieve orgasm. Unfortunately, during vaginal intercourse, it doesn’t get much lovin’. The Rabbit took care of that by stimulating both the clitoris and vagina. Finally! here was a vibe that gave the type of stimulation so many women desire.
A rabbit vibrator simply means one end in, one end out.
Since 1998, sex toys in general and the Rabbit specifically have changed a lot. And I’m not just talking about dolphins, butterflies, and turtles (oh my!). Rabbit vibes now come in all shapes, sizes, and colors. Many no longer even look like sex toys!
While the Rabbit still exists, a rabbit or dual-stimulation vibrator now refers to any vibe with two arms: one you that insert and the other that stimulates your clitoris. You still get maximum pleasure but newer rabbits offer so many more benefits.
The modern rabbit is body-safe, discreet, and eco-friendly.
Gone are the battery packs, noisiness, gazillion buttons, and cutesy animals. Today’s rabbit vibes are USB-rechargeable (unplug phone, plug in vibe), powerful, quiet, and easy to use.This means more pleasure and fun for you.
Take the Vitality by Leaf for example. In addition to being made of medical-grade silicone (which is both body-safe and waterproof), it’s so discreet that you may be wondering, “What the heck do I do with that?!”. Plus, you can do more than just stick it in! Score one for the modern rabbit.
A quick note about the video: I filmed this back in 2012 (omg so long ago!). Not only has the Vitality changed colors (its purple now), I’ve changed companies. Ignore what I’m saying about the Summer 2012 line.
The Vitality is a great option if you don’t like a lot of pressure on your clitoris. The outer bud glides over your clit, giving you indirect instead of super focused stimulation. Of course you can always press that bud down if you want a bit more pressure.
Other modern rabbit vibrators I love include
- Iconic Rabbit 2: it’s classy AF
- Sync: use it solo during sex with your sweetie…plus it has a remote control!
- Amorino: it comes in fun colors and has a nifty band to make your labia happy and a curved tip for g-spot pleasure
Every rabbit vibe is different.
They vary in terms of how much you insert, how long the clitoral arm is, and the shape and size of their shafts. To find your perfect rabbit vibe, ask yourself these five questions.
- Do you like a lot of pressure on your clitoris? You’ll want a rabbit vibe with a firm outer arm that can’t move too much. Basically the opposite of the Vitality.
- How big do you want the shaft to be? Do you like feeling really full or just prefer a little internal stimulation?
- Do you want G-spot stimulation? Go with something curved.
- How far is your clit from your vaginal opening? You want to make sure the outer arm will go the distance (so-to-speak).
- Do you want maximum control? Do you like different amounts of vibration inside and out? If so, go with a toy that has separate controls for each arm.
There is no one perfect rabbit vibe.
No, not even if the original was body safe, rechargeable, and prettier to look at. Your body experiences pleasure, arousal, and orgasm differently than your best friend’s, sister’s, and barista’s. So even if their rabbit was the best thing ever! for them, it may or may not be for you.
The best vibrator is the one you’ll use.
Toys are meant to add fun and adventure into your sex life so use them that way. Play around with a rabbit vibe or stick with something even simpler. Honestly, as long as its made of body-safe materials and feels good to you, go on and enjoy yourself girlfriend.